The age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists and calculators has succeeded.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

My hands are still slightly trembly...

My hands are still slightly trembly…

This is because a couple of hours ago, I had to wade in (well, toddle, really, there was carpeting rather than water) and break up a fight in my workplace. I’m sure our readership can picture the scene- about six young men of rather tall persuasions (or maybe everyone looks tall when you are 5”4), and little old me bumbling on in… One of them had just finished attempting to integrate his friend into the plaster on the wall and was repeating the process with the aforementioned carpet when I came on the scene, with highly persuasive declarations of pacifism… ‘what on earth do you think you are doing? I won’t have any of this!’ with much animation, of course.

Funnily enough, they all stopped and looked very contrite (suitable for all occasions, see…). I was quite chuffed. I’ve never even seen a real fight before, just silly shoving matches between drunk people, and I wasn’t entirely sure I had the capacity to wield that much authority… but life is full of surprises. Talking to a colleague, she mentioned that her tried and tested method of breaking up rumbles is to shout ‘Sausages!’ at the top of her lungs… By the time people have figured out what she’s shouting about, they’ve stopped.

I’ll have to try that next time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the only fight i've ever seen is with my brothers. they were fighting over a book or something and were rolling around on the floor,. i was only little and they did manage to avoid me.

the other fights i know about.. i think i've been involved in, and then they wernt so much fights as me being beaten the crap out of.

next time im being beaten up, i'll shout sausages and see if that works :P

8:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i suppose sausages is better than shouting boggies, lol. i dont like those guys, Dick and Dom, who encourage young children to shout such words so loudly in public places. it is probably very fun but they could have chosen a nicer word such as sausages, rather than boggies.

9:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home